Tips & Advice

I have a burst pipe and water is going everywhere. What can I do before my Crown Plumbing Specialists plumber arrives?

The first thing to do if you have a burst/leaking pipe is to turn the water off at its source or the main water supply located just inside the property boundary. In an apartment, this may be below the laundry, or kitchen sink. This will stop, or at least reduce the water flow prior to a technician arriving on site.

Toilet’s can be turned off via the tap located close to the toilet cistern, or perhaps inside the cistern itself. Sinks and basins sometimes have a shut off under the sink itself.

My water bills are always much higher than I project. We do everything we can to save water but the bills are always high. Why?

Leaks in the home can be a huge bill multiplier, whether its water leak detection or pipe leak detection, Crown Plumbing Specialists can help, however there’s a simple test you can carry out on your own to see if you have a leak in your home.

Note – this test should be conducted for a 30 minute period, during which time no water is being used on the property.

  • Find your water meter, which is usually located in front of the home in a covered box near the street.
  • Write down the numbers indicated on the meter at the start of this test.
  • Return to check the meter reading after 30 minutes have passed.
  • If the numbers have not changed, you do not have a leak in your pressurised water system.
  • Shut off the valves under all toilets in the house, and repeat steps 1-3.
  • If the numbers have not changed, your pipe and toilet systems are fine.
  • If the numbers have changed, this indicates water consumption even though water was not being used during the test, and you may need a leak detection.

I can smell gas on my property. What should I do?

Gas leaks need to be treated with the utmost respect. Gas is highly flammable, so follow these steps.

  1. Locate your gas meter, which is normally found at the front of your property. It will have a yellow handle that you need to turn 90 degrees, so that it’s perpendicular with the gas pipe. That will shut off the gas supply coming into the home.
  2. Call Crown Plumbing Specialists immediately and book in a technician.

My drains are gurgling when I flush the toilet. Why is that?

It sounds like you have something obstructing the drain. This could be foreign matter, or tree roots. Best to give Crown Plumbing Specialists a call so a technician can come to site and investigate with a Drain Camera. In the mean time, if possible, use another bathroom.

Why do some appliances seem to trip my power circuit?

This probably means you have either a faulty appliance, or an electrical fault. Test the same appliance in a power point at the other end of the house and if if trips the circuit again, it might be the appliance. If it doesn’t, call Crown Plumbing Specialists and get a technician to investigate fault detection.

What should I do if I’ve noticed a mark appearing on my ceiling?

It could be a number of things, however it’s likely that you have a water leak coming from somewhere. Best to get a Crown Plumbing Specialists representative to do some leak detection as it could be one of a number of things.

Why is my hot water a funny colour?

Sometimes when a heater gets old, it starts to rust from the inside. You should probably call Crowns Plumbing Specialists and get it checked before it becomes a bigger problem.

Why would my power points get hot?

You have an electrical fault. Call Crowns Plumbing Specialists immediately. DO NOT try to fix this on your own.

Why do my walls make a clunking noise when I turn off may taps?

It sounds like you have ‘water hammer’. Water hammer is caused by vibrations in pipes that are not secured correctly. This can often be fixed with arrestors, so maybe give Crown Plumbing Specialists a call today and get someone to take a look at it for you.

CROWNPS LogoLBG CMYK 2 - Tips & Advice